Sunday 23 February 2014

Zoe Kazan Talks Her New Movie, Working With Jake Johnson, and More

There's no doubt about it—Zoe Kazan is awesome. The actress-screenwriter-playwright has a lot to show for herself at only 30 years old. I loved her as the slightly-obsessive love interest to Jason Schwartzman on the now sadly defunct HBO show Bored to Death, was impressed by We Live Here, the 2011 off-Broadway play she wrote and starred in, and had endless conversations with family and friends over Ruby Sparks, the unique film that she wrote and starred in alongside her real-life boyfriend, Paul Dano. Bottom line, Zoe is incredibly talented, and we dig the fact that she's never gotten all "Hollywood" on us. This month, Zoe stars in The Pretty One, an indie drama in which she plays identical twin sisters. We chatted with her about the film, what she has next, and what it was like to work with New Girl's Jake Johnson.

ThePrettyOne-ZoeKazan-JakeJohnson-Pool

Glamour: In The Pretty One, you play two twin sisters. What was that experience like?
Zoe Kazan: The most challenging part of filming as both twins was the technical aspect. We had to shoot every scene with a body double for my eye line and to give me something to react to. While switching between the two characters, I had to keep both performances in mind while matching exactly the physicality that my stand-in had on the other side...while trying to act. It felt like doing math while standing on my head while singing an aria!
Glamour: In the film, you play Laurel, who's awkward, and Audrey, who's much more self-confident. Which sister did you relate to more and why?
ZK: Reading the script, I immediately felt connected to Laurel—she reminds me of my middle-school self, so self-conscious and starkly individual at the same time. But as I worked on the two parts, I began to see more of myself in Audrey, her sensuality and humor. The two performances really come from two different but equally valid parts of myself.
Glamour: Growing up, did you ever wish you were a twin?
ZK: I know a lot of girls fantasize about having a twin, but I really didn't. I have a sister who's close in age to me, whom I'm very close with, so I guess she filled that need.
Glamour: I loved Ruby Sparks! Do you have any other screenplays in the works?
ZK: Thank you! I'm so happy that people have found that movie over the last couple of years. Making it meant so much to me, and I'm so proud of it. I've been writing, and I hope to be able to share more soon.
Glamour: New Girl's Jake Johnson was your costar in The Pretty One. Are you a fan of the show?
ZK: I love New Girl, and the creator, Liz Meriwether, is actually a friend of mine from college! Jake's a great actor,. and I'd work with him again in a heartbeat. I also feel super indebted to him because there was a scene that we shot in a swimming pool, and it was so cold, I turned blue. He bravely volunteered to stay in the pool and let me do the next scene from the side, out of the water. For that, he will always be my hero.
What movies are you excited to see?

















source:www.glamour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture Window theme. Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.