Friday 7 February 2014

Maria Sharapova, Style Icon of Sochi. What The Tennis Star Is Wearing To The Olympics



maria-sharapova-2
If there's anyone who knows what to expect at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, it's Maria Sharapova. The tennis superstar is a native of the Russian city and will be commentating on various sports for NBC throughout the Olympics. Because fashion is first and foremost for the stunning 6'2", four-time Grand Slam champion, Maria tapped respected stylist Petra Flannery (who works Hollywood elite such as Emma Stone) to create chic (and yes, warm!) looks for on and off-camera appearances in Sochi. I had a chance to speak with Maria about the Olympics, her icons and yes—fashion. Read here: GLAMOUR: What was your style like growing up in Sochi?
Maria Sharapova: My style growing up and my style that I live by today hasn't changed— It's about style on the go. As a kid, I lived in my Nike on-court attire every day. As someone who spends a lot of her time on the road, you have to look stylish but comfortable as I'm always in motion. Either traveling for my job, for pleasure or managing the hectic pace of the modern day. My style when I was younger was still unique to me. I didn't necessarily dress by the trends but I was always aware of what was trendy at the time and how I could apply it to my own sense of style.

GLAMOUR: Who are some of your favorite designers or style icons?
MS: One of my favorite style icons is Audrey Hepburn. She had such a classic and chic sense of style. Today some of my favorite designers are Sarah Burton for McQueen, Tom Ford, Isabel Marant to Rick Owens.
GLAMOUR: What sports are you most excited about seeing at the Winter Olympics?
MS:
They are so different that I don't have a favorite, but I grew up watching figure skating as it is very popular in Russia. So I'm looking forward to that, but also to seeing the bobsled events too!

GLAMOUR: Tell us about your Sochi style. What do you have in store?
MS: The priority will be to stay warm! I have packed a variety of different coats and will work the rest of the look around them. Also some sweaters in fun knits to add some color and I like to wear them over collared shirts to give it a polished, masculine look.
GLAMOUR: What was it like working with Petra Flannery?
MS: Petra is talented artist. She has an expert eye that truly understands how to elevate my personality and my own sense of style in the way I dress. We collaborated on a number of events and opportunities. She understands my needs and we work together to develop a look that I feel confident in and enjoy wearing.
GLAMOUR: What are your secrets for staying warm and still looking slim with layers?
MS:
Chic and classic coats that aren't bulky but sophisticated. A tie [or belt] at the waist, a lighter weight wool, or simple outerwear piece with a detailed collar work.
GLAMOUR: What about shoes?!
MS: My black Stuart Weitzman boots will be my constant companions. Footwear is a priority so I always go for the classic riding boot and pack a black patent pump which I know will work with everything.
Here are some of Maria's favorite looks for Sochi:
maria-sharapova-4
Reed Krakoff coat, Roksanda Ilincic shirt, Holmes and Yang trousers and Christian Louboutin boots.

maria-sharapova-6
Reed Krakoff suit and sweater, MaxMara shirt.

maria-sharapova-1
Michael Kors dress, Bottega Veneta coat and Jimmy Choo shoes. maria-sharapova-5
Alexander McQueen dress, MaxMara coat. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
source:www.glamour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture Window theme. Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.