Friday 7 February 2014

What to Wear on a Creative-Job Interview: 7 Outfit Ideas Straight From Glamour Editors


Getting dressed for a job interview at a creative place like a radio station, newspaper, or magazine can be sort of a tricky. You want to look polished and put-together but still show off your stylish personality. In hopes of helping you out, my dear readers, I asked a few Glamour editors what they wore on their first fashion job interviews. Read on for some awesome outfit ideas...

mark-leibowitz-Jason-Wu


Christina PĂ©rez, fashion development editor: I decided to err on the side of understated, so I wore my favorite outfit: a long-sleeve, full-skirted navy blue dress, black tights, and black pointed-toe pumps. I don't think I wore any jewelry, but if I did, it was probably just a small ring or maybe some tiny earrings. I was definitely going for my usual minimal thing, and I remember feeling really good in that outfit. I totally believe that if you wear what you love, your confidence will shine through!
Anna Kipta, associate accessories editor: A vintage navy with white polka-dot sleeveless mididress, piles of necklaces, and silver high-heel sandals. I was going for a casual/chic/professional/effortless vibe.
Caitlin Brody, assistant entertainment editor: It was pouring and cold that day (of course!), so I layered a lacy, gray long-sleeve Free People shirt under a 12th Street Cynthia Vincent dress. I wore it with Michael Kors heels, which were one of just two pairs of heels I owned at the time. I accessorized with two necklaces: the "Caitlin" nameplate necklace I wear every day and an opal necklace that was my mom's. The vibe I was going for was serious but fun and with personality, while not seeming too obviously interview-y to my potential bosses.
Sophia Chabbott, senior online fashion editor: I wore a black Vena Cava flared skirt, olive green Sandro silk T-shirt, black cutout suede sandals, a black lacquer cuff, and my "oui" ring from Dior—I was hoping so badly to get the job, so I wanted to put positive "YES" energy out there.
Alexandra Schwartz, assistant to the editor-in-chief: I wore my safe, go-to, and recently dry-cleaned navy blue silk Club Monaco button-down. It's loose enough to be comfortable but fitted enough to be ladylike. I paired it with a black-and-white tweed midthigh skirt, sheer black tights, and black heels. I wore my hair down and straightened, and minimal jewelry. A ring on my left hand, a few bangles on my right, and a small gold chain necklace. I was petrified, but apparently I did OK!
Anna MoesIein, online assistant editor: I remember that I shelled out more cash than I usually do and bought a "power dress" for big interviews. It was black and camel (classic colors), fit me very well, and easily wearable across seasons. It made me feel comfortable, which was my main goal for the day. I know sometimes I look young for my age, so I wanted something that was more "adult," so to speak, but also fresh and age-appropriate. I couldn't decide on accessories, so I opted instead to go minimal—a simple gold statement ring and that's it. I figured better to go more simple than to worry and fuss about whether or not a necklace or bracelet worked. Long story short, something that makes you feel comfortable and confident is the key.
As for me, one of my first job interviews was in August (read: sweltering heat), so I went with an orange Diane von Furstenberg sleeveless wrap dress that I also wore to my college graduation and brown midheel sandals that were on permanent loan from my sister, and I carried my resume and portfolio in a structured leather tote bag. I wanted to convey my personality through the color of my dress (and also give them something to remember me by) but still look professional.
Do you work in a creative industry? What did you wear on your first job interview? Share in the comments!







source:www.glamour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture Window theme. Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.