jennifer-lopez-casper-smart-golden-globes
She's still Jenny from the block; she just doesn't want to do it alone.
Growing up in a modern era, I always thought it was totally lame for a woman to admit she didn't like being alone. I scoffed at people who were serial monogamists (despite spending nearly a decade in two back-to-back serious relationships) as people who "couldn't stand to be alone." And I'm still constantly advocating for women to embrace being single rather than letting it be a cause of worry or embarrassment. (Even though, of course, I can also really appreciate commiseration about the downside of being single.)
Of course, I will continue to maintain that being single can be great and that plenty of men and women are truly happy being on their own and shouldn't let society tell them otherwise. On the other hand, if traditional relationships aren't for everyone, shouldn't it also follow that being single isn't for everyone either?
That's what J.Lo thinks, and she's not going to feel bad about it. Here's what she said in a recent panel for American Idol:
"I'm one of those people who does not like to be alone. I have no shame saying that at this point in my life. I think we have to own who we are."
Based on her quote, she obviously grew up with a thought process similar to mine, in which at one point in her life, she thought it was shameful to admit such a thing. And it should also be noted that she isn't saying in general it's better to be in a relationship or not, just that by now, she knows what she likes and what she doesn't personally.
With that distinction, I kind of like that she's putting this statement out there. She's 44 years old and wildly successful, so why should she be afraid to admit that after much life experience, she's concluded that for her, she prefers to be in a relationship? Then again, I also love to hear a woman declare that she embraces being alone, like the lovely Stevie Nicks and her pep talk for single women everywhere. I just think there is room for both opinions. What do you guys think?



source:www.glamour.com