Tuesday 6 May 2014

Monica Lewinsky is Back, Speaks Out About Online Bullying


 I'm going to give it to you straight: I've always felt a little bit sorry for Monica Lewinsky. She's paid a heavy price for doing something really stupid when she was 21 years old. I've done some pretty stupid things as well--granted, not with the married leader of the free world, but still--and I think we all can sympathize (at least a little) with the fact that this woman has had to live with the whole world knowing about a bad
 decision she made as an intern.




After years of silence, Lewinsky is speaking out about her affair with President Clinton in a self-penned piece fro Vanity Fair, saying, "I, myself, deeply regret what happened between me and President Clinton. Let me say it again: Myself. Deeply. Regret. What. Happened."
Short refresher: Lewinsky, a White House intern and later an employee at the Office of Legislative Affairs and the pentagon, had a brief affair with the President. She confessed detaiuls of the affair to her colleague Linda Tripp, who began taping their conversations and later took them public, resulting in the impeachment of  the President by the House of Representatives for lying under oath. (The Senate later acquitted him.)
While the Vanity Fair piece isn't out until May 8th, the magazine released a few excerpts online, with Lewinsky claiming she is coming out with her story now because she wants to use her story to combat online bullying. Lewinsky told Vanity FAir that "thanks to the Drudge Report, I was also possibly the first person whose global humiliation and harassment and to start speaking on this topic in public forums," specifically referencing Tyler Clementi, a freshman at Rutgers who in 2010, took his own life after a webcam secretly captured and streamed video of him kissing a man. Says Vanity Fair, "Lewinsky writes that following Clementi's tragedy 'my own suffering took on a different meaning. Perhaps by sharing my story, I reasoned, I might be able to help others in their darkest moments of humiliation. t=The question became: How do I find and give a purpose to my past?'















source:glamour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture Window theme. Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.